The Wonder Hut in Yarmouth

I was awarded an Artist in Residence grant from the Yarmouth Elementary Foundation  to spend four days a the school, and one day to collect twigs for the project. By tomorrow, all the students will have an opportunity to integrate twigs into the woven structure. It is sited in their playground surrounded by several good sized deciduous trees.
The weather has been very comfortable as you can see kids in short sleeves or light sweaters. I have almost never completed a hut without some degree of precipitation. I hope I am not speaking too soon.
Chake Higgison and others at the school worked together to get the grant and I am grateful to YEF for granting funds for me to participate. I have been really been enjoying getting to know the students. They have all been willing to try something new and I am sure they are looking forward to its completion. Todd Abbott has been stopping out once or twice each day to video tape from the air with a little drone vehicle and a video will be produced!
Yesterday the Middle School marching band marched by, practicing a rousing version  of the Marine Corps hymn. We all stopped weaving twigs to listen and watch the band perform.
I have only taken a few photos myself so this is just a sampling.

Yarmouth Elementary School
121 McCartney St.
Yarmouth, ME

Drive by the play space to see it!




We kept structure 'closed' with pink tape until grand finale on Friday.


Friday's opening!


Feathers magically appeared over the doorway.






Comments

Popular Posts