New Batch of Board Books

Last weekend I was one of 150 vendors at The Vintage Bazaar at Pettengill Farm in Salisbury, MA, which is just up the coast from Newburyport. I took four enormous bins of vintage textiles: lace, collars, quilts, dresses and chenille bedspreads. I also took the Book Dress, Book Jacket and Wraparound Book Skirt. People were coming to my booth just to see those items. They were very excited about the wearable art and People were sending their friends to my booth just to see them. After long hot and humid hours of not selling much in the vintage department, I sold the Book Skirt. And boy, was she excited to own it. Wear one of those pieces and you will get noticed. You will always have a conversation. Strangers will be asking you about the unique textiles you are wearing, the great sounds they make when you move and what they are made of.  

I learned a lot over the weekend, ( besides that fact that I can set up and take down my 10 x 10 ten up myself). It was sad not have small items in the same vein. So this week I have been building smaller items, A Book Necklace. I stitched a backing of printed cotton from Australia, that I picked up on Route One in Nobleboro, at Mainely Sewing. I am crazy for the Australian prints. I lined the piece w interfacing and added cotton ties in the same fabric.

I want to create something that would look great under a blazer of jean jacket or over a colorful T or turtleneck shirt. The beauty of jewelry vs. clothing, no fitting!. Sizes universal.  Since these pieces are smaller, I can work on themes, use all one book, one illustrator or author. So speaking of which here is the list of 'new' (picked up at Salvation Army store in Topsham) books I just picked up.

In order of size, smallest to largest!

Let's Count, Dracula, by Alan Benjamin, Pictures by Sal Murdocca, A Chubby Board Book, Little Simon, 1992
Colors, bright baby, priddy books, 2004
Baby Talk, DK, 2005
Ten Little Rabbits, by Virginia Grossman, illustrated by Sylvia Long, Chronicle, 1991, (do not have the heart to cut this one up yet as the clerk at SA said it was one of her favorites.  Well, maybe all the more reason to get it into production!  Maybe she would like to have a necklace of it!)
My Pretty Pink Purse Tim Bugbird, Designed by Jane Horne, Scholastic, 2009, (So exceedingly pink! including ribbon to tie into a bow, glitter and soft pink fuzzy fabric to pet!)
Where Are Baby's Easter Eggs?, Karen Katz, Little Simon, 2008
Where's My Mommy?, Jo Brown, tiger tales, 2002
Clap Hands, Helen Oxenbury, Little Simon 1987
Brainy Baby ABC's, Bendon Publishing, 2004
Snowman, created by Oyster Books, Paragon, 2001

Photo by Christine Macchi, E.D. of www.mainefiberarts.org. Taken in the luscious garden at 13 Maine Street, Topsham, a small piece of paradise in a busy commercial zone.


Comments

Popular Posts