Altered Couture Fashion Show /Art Van Fundraiser, Year 2 was all about hats. Christine De Troy set the theme and prerequisites. Materials to come from 2nd hand shop or from stash of found or left over materials at home. I decided to create a bird with sheer fabric and bamboo from roll-down shades.

I had planned to use the soft hat I found at Goodwill. Thought the chin tie would be helpful. With a little experimentation, I realized that would not be stable enough to hole the tall feathers. So I built paper mache hat shape over a form.

I added a head and large bill, as pictured. I was pleased with the shape. Reading 'Cleopatra' and looked at lots of pics of Egyptian Pharaoh head gear. Applied paint, kept building feathers of bamboo, wire and fabric. Stitching all together. I applied paint, had lots of yellow so that was the base. It made me recall the music "Yellow Bird" by Arthur Lyman. I found the music easily online but could not purchase easily online. Ordered it from Bull Moose.


Spoke to Julia and she was up for modeling. She chose a lovely flowing blue dress. She became the water under my shore bird and looked marvelous in the outfit. Her dark eyes and hair worked with my idea of Cleopatra.

Here she is with Terry, one of the jurors.
In the midst of creating, Yellow Bird or the Latin, Camdmium Brunswickian, I build a second hat form, incase the first was not strong enough. Trial paper mache wings that did not work well with Yellow Bird, I glued on to hat 2. It looked like a flame, so that hat went into production too. Fire Starter? Little Spark? I finally settled on 'Fire!"

Fire! has a small battery operated tea light at the center of the flame.

We had a wonderful time at the event. All the other entrants were inspired creations and it was a great pleasure to see designer friends from last year. And we won first prize. I heard juror, Matt, say, "It was the legs." They were pretty cool. Each foot had a magnet glued to it and we put magnets under Julis's dress to keep them resting on her shoulders. Yippee!!!





Comments

Popular Posts