Green Felt Mittens

I have been working on a new process, 3-D felt.
 
I carded Linclon, Merino, Romney and Alpaca from local farms into a big fluffy batt on the hand carding machine. I cut a pattern for the mitts and then placed perpendicular layers over the two patterns. I gently felted one side then folded excess fiber over the second side and added more fiber to that side. I rubbed and rolled, gently at first and them more vigorously. You may notice I had help from Colby.
 
Finally I cut the ends open, put the mittens on and finished felting. The mittens could get shrink even more if I threw them in the washer and dryer or could stretch a bit if worn by someone with slightly larger hands.
 
I added an image of the fiber locks. Alpaca (top) is the shortest. It retains heat very well. Merino and Romney are soft fibers especially good for garments and Lincoln (bottom) is a lustrous fiber that adds strength to the mittens.
--
PO Box 22
Woolwich, ME 04579

Comments

Popular Posts