Coyote Off the Back Porch - Altered Couture Fashion Show Fundraiser 2015

Leah Cross and I work together again creating a very special creature for an annual fundraiser in Brunswick, ME. The costume: I made a paper mache coyote mask, with small holes and inserted small battery operated tea lights so the eyes would glow. A skirt and shirt from Goodwill were sort of rough bark-y looking and I painted a tree trunk and branches, front and back. I cut a half dozen, red osier dogwood branches, about 5 feet long, from my front yard and wired these into a small backpack. I made 7 small paper cylinder paper lamps that would each hold a tea light, and these I tied into the branches. Leah strew some 'silk' leaves about and I tacked them to her hair, shoulder, hip and boot top. Dark tights and boots pulled everything together.

I had the MC read a text about a lovely, warm spring evening in Maine when you get that first chance to enjoy being on the back porch with friends who gather for drinks to celebrate the coming mild days. When what do you hear but the howl of a coyote. I asked two friends in the audience, "If you heard a coyote call, would you call back?" Of course, they said. At the MCs last word and just as our music cued, I howled and heard a few resounding howls in return. More than I expected, I think.

Our music was "Coyote" by Modest Mouse. It is a stately waltz on rock and roll instruments. I thought that would offer a good way for Leah to move as she recreated a lovely tree. She carried boughs of cedar and red osier dogwood in each hand.

Here is a video of Leah with the lights on at the end of the event having a little walk around for the camera https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bx5I3KjU5ikweTNpWTJTZzdHM00/view

Susan Perrine
PO Box 22, Woolwich, ME 04579

What are you making today?

Website - susanperrine.com
Blog - susanjohnsonperrine.com
Facebook - The Susy Factory
Instagram - Susy Factory
Etsy - Susysusy

Comments

Popular Posts