Addie's Apron - Exhiibition


Pictured is a silk apron or smock I just finished for exhibiting with Maine members of Surface Design Association at Common Street Arts in Waterville. 

The size and design are based on a garment worn by Addie Card as she may be seen in a photograph by Lewis Hine below. He captured her image and he guessed, age 10 or 12  as she was working in a cotton mill in North Pownal, Vermont.

This piece is made of raw silk, I found at a local thrift shop. It was formerly a woman's suit. I finished the piece with hand and machine stitching. Before cutting the shapes, I covered the whole textile with text about my experience working at Hamilton Web, a mill in North Kingstown, RI and what I have learned about her weaving experience. I used Liquitex, water base, acid free, black permanent markers.


After cutting an reassembling, I had the notion that Addie's original garment may well have been a woman's skirt to begin with. It would be simple to make. The waist band would be used as yoke with some fabric cut away on each side, creating armholes.

Size of my piece is 36 x 17 inches, displayed on hanger, hemline circumference is 88". I built a plywood form to hold the dress on display, so you could 'wear' the dress by standing behind it, and having your picture taken.

Below is the Lewis Hine photograph. What was she carrying in her bulging pocket?  My best guess is bits of ends of the threads she was pulling off bobbins so she could wind more on. I don't think she needed scissors. I wonder if she had a piece or two of candy to share with a friend. 


Lewis Hine photo copyright George Eastman House, Rochester, NY




Comments

Popular Posts