Human Loom Ruminating

I'm planning a hands on weaving event at Common Ground Country Fair, http://mofga.org, Friday and Saturday, Sept 19 and Sept 20 at 2pm in Folk Art Tent 2. I am looking for your ideas and help. My concept is to use people as parts of the loom, as heddles to hold weft up or down and as shuttles to carry the weft across the warp. I've done it before with my friend Heather Minto and 20-30 students, at Samuel Slater School in Pawtucket, Rhode Island.

Here is a pic from that event.

We are holding the warp beam in place, Heather with her hands and me with my feet. Students and teachers are raising and lowering the warp 'threads'. The fellow kneeling in front is recording the pattern and timing us, so we know when to switch groups. Over 150 people wove by the end of the school day. One teacher in a three piece suit happily crawl in between warp threads. 

We wove with strips of fabric about 9" wide and 20 feet long using cotton, wool, rayon; whatever we could round up.
For Common Ground, a friend from http://sdamaine.wordpress.com/ suggested using silk. I hadn't considered it before and it seems such a good idea, that I think asking for help is a good way to proceed. I can picture the finished piece, a grand transparent banner that catches the slightest breeze. 

If you would consider providing some fabric for this project I would be forever grateful. I am looking for transparent, light weight, silk or other material, dyed or painted, patterned or plain, any color. I am still working out the size of the strips of fabric. I trying to figure out how to accommodate people in the space allotted, Inside tent, if rainy. I am also trying to figure out how to hang the piece once done. Twigs or saplings may become involved!

I will post more details about the size of fabric soon. Please, post your comments an suggestions.

Comments

Popular Posts